Aquatic Biological Consultancy Services
The consultancy is a professional organisation under the technical and financial control of its directors. Its work is carried out in accordance with the codes and standards of the Institute of Biology of the United Kingdom. ABCS is not an agent for any manufacturer or other organisation and advice to the client is therefore objective and confidential.
ABCS provides expertise in the following fields:
- Tropical and temperate fisheries and aquaculture
- Survey and monitoring of aquatic environments
- Coastal ecology, conservation and management
- Public aquaria and marine park developments
- Recreational and amenity use of waters
- Pollution control and problems of water use and re-use
- Environmental impact assessments
Since 1974, ABCS has provided expertise to clients in the field of water use and management. We indicate below the range of projects undertaken;
- Design, construction, commissioning and management of water features, including architectural features such as fountains and ornamental lakes as well as natural water features.
- Ecological, chemical and micro-biological analyses and rectification of pollution events. Control and management of water use and re-use.
- Management of recreational waters, including angling, sport use and public access amenity waters.
- Environmental Impact Investigations for industry, infrastructure developments on river catchments, and reservoir construction.
ABCS has been responsible for the development of numerous inland and coastal fisheries and fish-farming projects. particularly in East, Central and West Africa, the Middle East, the Indian sub-continent the Far East, China and Central America. Our activities have included:
- Region and countrywide development of a fisheries development policy and strategies for its implementation
- Development of administrative and training policies for the promotion of countrywide fisheries
- Evaluation of fisheries production, potential and marketing economics
- Evaluation of fisheries under the impact of infrastructure development, dams, reservoirs and environmental changes
- Design, construction and training for the development of aquaculture complexes with extension into the field
- Training and establishment of fisheries research teams
Recreation And Tourism
The provision of expertise to the recreation and tourism industry has become particularly significant with the increase in health and safety legislation and the increased importance of leisure activities in daily life. We indicate below the range of projects undertaken:
- The design, installation, commissioning and on-going management of water features that are architecturally integral to housing developments.
These installations have ranged from simple fountains to constructed 'natural' streams, still ponds and lakes. Management demands attention to the continuing control of biological factors (algae, fish, birds etc.), attention to water quality and maintenance for both health and aesthetic considerations.
- The development of angling and sports fishing strategies for regional bodies, large lake owners, and public access complexes. Commercial and environmental assessments and considerations of the human impact are also addressed
- Design, commissioning and management of public aquaria
Details of projects and clients are available on request.